Live Performance Dashboard: Jmeter-Grafana-influxdb in windows 8x64

This is continuing post of Live Performance Dashboard: Jmeter-Grafana-influxdb only this time with windows(as I have promised). I would suggest, please visit that post to continue.

In this example, I am going to setup influxdb & Grafana in windows 8x64 PC in VM. You can use real PC/AWS. And like as before, I will run jmeter in my local PC to test keeping monitoring system isolated.
My Local Address (in this whole example) : 172.16.244.135

[As influxdb/grafana will be accessed from outer network, make sure you put in outbound firewall rules so that others can access this]

Step 1 Installing InfluxDB : 

Download Influxdb from this link (nightly build, updated up to now). It is standalone zip. If you extract, you will see something like this.(i renamed in to  influxdb-0.11.0)



Now, open command prompt and get default configuration (in bin all exe present)
(like as previous post)  

influxd.exe config

So, you will get default configuration. Copy this to a notepad and save as influxdb.conf. [to make life easy, i save my own influxdb.conf in bin , so default one in etc, my one in bin]

Now, if you run this you will see error messages due to local host address resolver is not working for windows. Github discussion.

Easy to solve , add local host with port number. I change the under
[meta]
  bind-address = "localhost:8088"
  http-bind-address = "localhost:8091"


That's all to resolve the error.

Now, add graphite configuration at our influxdb.conf.

[[graphite]]
enabled = true
bind-address = ":2003"
database = "jmeter"


So, open command line , goto bin directory (where influxd.exe & influxdb.conf are present )

influxd.exe -config influxdb.conf



Now,  if we goto browser and see http://172.16.244.135:8083 , we will be able to see home page. Like as before , create a table 'Jmeter'.



And , if we see show database ,we should be able to see DBs.
So, our influxDB setup is done.

My Windows influxdb.conf

Step 2 : Installing Grafana :

Download grafana standard from this link. (I am using 2.6, latest)
Extract it in your suitable location. (i also renamed in grafana-2.6.0 to keep things simple)

Now , Open command line
-> goto bin directory under grafana-2.6.0 and run grafana-server.exe
You will see server running.

Goto browser http://172.16.244.135:3000/
And you should able to see grafana home page for login prompt. (use admin, admin to login) 

Like as previous post, configure influxDB settings into grafana.
 

 Like as previous post, make a dashboard. (I am using same request count) 
 

So, we are done setup, now lets test it. 

Jmeter Tests :
Like as previous post , I am using same test case just changed the URL to 172.16.244.135
 

Now, if we run jmeter 
-> goto http://172.16.244.135:8083
-> select Jmeter from right upper corner.
->from query template SHOW MEASUREMENTS
we will see like this.

 

This means DB is getting Data. 

Now if we goto grafana dashboard (our dashboard name Jmeter  Live )
we should be see graph for request sending


So, Like as Ubuntu , we have completed our setup a live Jmeter result monitoring system with Grafana & InfluxDB.

Note : As I am installing in my PC, ignore my user name, for your PC , it will be your's. So, don't just copy past my configurations. 

----- Thanks.. :)

14 comments:

  1. Hi Shantonu, I have configured as per the instruction. However not getting the desired graphs. when doing the show measurements jmeter.D.a.count details are not coming up. Only jmeter.all.a.count details are there. Also in grafana when trying to add any graphs getting influxDB error. data is null. Could you please update. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you are getting results, that means your configuration is okay. So, two things can be happen
      1. Jmeter is not sending (check Jmeter following this http://shantonusarker.blogspot.com/2016/02/jmeter-grafana-influxdb-monitoring.html)
      2.You could not configure Grafana dashboard graphs with queries.

      Jmeter by default provide these graphs , see xml configurations(http://jmeter.apache.org/usermanual/realtime-results.html) You should be able to see those if jmeter sends perfectly to influxdb.
      And, check backend listner configuration spatially.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Shantonu. It was indeed the issue with configuration. If we want to send multiple request, is it like we have to provide the sampler list in backend listener for all the sampler? what is difference between d.count and all.count.

      Delete
    3. Thanks God..

      from my example, D is a name of http request, if you have multiple requests, just list in samplerLists

      d.count is count of single request, all refers to all request listed in samplerLists.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shontonu.. I was trying to install influxdb for 32 bit system but failed to do so..can u suggest on the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually steps & configuration are same. Message me your errors, so that I can reply specifically.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shantonu. I followed the steps. When I running the same influxdb.config file from my PC I could see 3 databases(internal,jmeter and grafana) in show databases for influxdb. But from my office PC I could see only 2 databases(internal, jmeter). Could you please suggest why it is happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there should be only 2, internal & jmeter (with graphite plugin). I have not declared any DB named grafana.

      check in log, while making influxdb. send here/mail.

      Delete
  4. Hello Santonu,i am getting time out error (please see my Jmeter logs),InfulxDB ,Jmeter running on same machine,please advice me any suggestions

    2016/11/08 13:28:52 ERROR - jmeter.visualizers.backend.graphite.TextGraphiteMetricsSender: Error writing to Graphite:connect timed out
    2016/11/08 13:28:53 ERROR - jmeter.visualizers.backend.graphite.TextGraphiteMetricsSender: Error writing to Graphite:Connection refused: connect
    2016/11/08 13:28:54 ERROR - jmeter.visualizers.backend.graphite.TextGraphiteMetricsSender: Error writing to Graphite:connect timed out
    2016/11/08 13:28:55 ERROR - jmeter.visualizers.backend.graphite.TextGraphiteMetricsSender: Error writing to Graphite:connect timed out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. error says, jmeter cant connect to influx db graphite plugin,

      Delete
    2. check firewall or authentication related items

      Delete
  5. Hello Shantonu,

    I am trying to implement Grafana real time in windows platform. Currently I am able to capture the jmeter run data into Influxdb. I have also configured the Influxdb data source in Grafana and post I am getting message "Success Data source is working", but I am not able to read Influxdb data into Grafana. While configuring individual graph, the 'Jmeter' measurements data is not populating in the query section.

    Seems like I am missing some configuration in windows .ini file, Please can someone help me with this.

    Please let me know if you need more info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Shantonu,

    I am trying to implement Grafana real time in windows platform. Currently I am able to capture the jmeter run data into Influxdb. I have also configured the Influxdb data source in Grafana and post I am getting message "Success Data source is working", but I am not able to read Influxdb data into Grafana. While configuring individual graph, the 'Jmeter' measurements data is not populating in the query section.

    Seems like I am missing some configuration in windows .ini file, Please can someone help me with this.

    Please let me know if you need more info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you may have missed the grafana config of graphite plugins. mail me for clear details of both configs .

      Delete